Tuesday, March 04, 2008

one last thought

I have kept quiet during this time because I was waiting to see what the developments would be with this “merger’ before I spoke out. Much like you I heard the rumors, read the speculations and listened to Robin Miller. I waited anxiously as the proceedings were taking place. And, frankly, was heartbroken when I heard that Tony George took everything from Champ Car. I have been in ‘mourning’ with apologies to anybody who has lost a loved one, but its how I have genuinely felt over the last few weeks. Never mind the fact that I was about to assume the opportunity of a life time, career-wise. This news has affected me much deeper than simply professional, as now I have to realize that I have lost so many friends, so many ‘family’ members and not to mention some of the most beautiful sounding automobiles in the world.

Perhaps the part that has angered me the most is the massive layoffs that took place at Champ Car headquarters. These were my friends and colleagues who worked so hard for so many years only to have their careers end abruptly. I would have at least hoped that this ‘merger’ meant that many Champ Car jobs would be saved. But it was clearly not this way. The IndyCar racing league has their own staff with no wiggle room. As much as Tony George and the gang have put a positive spin on this take-over, the bottom line is that it’s extremely negative for so many people.

While in my heart of hearts I truly hope this is the best thing for the sport that I fell in love with, I am truly angry at the way it took place. This was not the best way to get the series together. Heck it wasn’t the 4th or 5th best way. I want to be happy for these events, but I can’t. I am angry and will remain angry for some time. And again, it’s not because it cost me an opportunity of a lifetime. This upcoming champ car season was going to be a landmark season for me professionally, but instead it’s nothing. And, like so many people at CC, I am nothing to the folks at IndyCar racing who appear at this point to care less about anybody who was associated with Champ Car unless they bring cars to their series.

It’s been very interesting up here in Toronto. The merger announcement made news, the cancellation of the Toronto race made news. But the reality is that Champ Car is dead and won’t return. People up here know this sport much more than just peripherally. They never paid attention to the IRL, have complained about the cars and at the end of the day, oval racing is foreign to them. It’s a darn shame the Toronto GP was lost and while it could return next year, a lot of people are bitter about the cancellation and feel ripped off. It’s going to be tough for them to recoup next year.

I want to thank all of you for the emails you sent me during this difficult period. Racing has been wonderfully kind to me over the years, as have all of you. Its time for me to leave my love and try and find a new one. The fact that I was able to spend my 20’s traveling, meeting great people and working in an incredibly satisfying environment is something I will always cherish. Open-wheel fans taught me what passion for something is all about. I thank you for that.

17 Comments:

At 8:33 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what you were going to get professionally, but otherwise, I know how you feel. We just found out last night that our Houston race is cancelled, so we're not even getting ALMS for our racing fix.

I feel for all who have lost jobs because of this stupid "merger." I hope that life takes you someplace even better and we're all happier and better off in the end.

 
At 9:40 AM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric, I only had the pleasure to meet you briefly at Tremblant last year at the CCIC dinner. That was an amazing event, as was Toronto which got me hooked on this stuff, and Montreal in the past. This will hurt for a while...

As a photographer, I've had so many great experiences with CC employees over the years and it saddens me greatly to know how they were treated in this deal. I truly wish yourself and everyone else previously employed by CC the best in the future! Such talented people can't be out of work for long.

 
At 9:59 AM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This merger had to happen but it does suck the way it went down.
Tony needs KK i figure because the IRL is in no better shape than CC was.
RIP CC!

 
At 10:31 AM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lurk your blog Eric, but what you said is exactly how I feel as a Canadian. Most of the races I attended were either in Vancouver or Edmonton, and always appreciated what you did around the track to make it a bit better experience, be it on track announcing or hosting things like fan forums. Enjoyed the little videos you have done over the years, as they were a lot of fun to watch.

I Enjoyed going to the race each year, and even though I was a fan, and did not know any of the employees, it was always nice to see the same champcar employees each year around the track. Edmonton is going to be a lot different this year, and really just a bunch of strangers. Even though I am familar with some of the IRL teams from the CART days, those teams will be strangers to me now. Part of me wishes Edmonton would have been left of the schedule as well, but tickets already paid for. Will definitely be some hard feelings I carry to the race this year.

 
At 1:31 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric, I'm just a journalist and was not a member of Champ Car staff but exactly know how you're feeling now.

As a journalist I've also had great experiences with CC employees. I'm really thankful for them for their help over the years. The way they were treaded by the "management" was simply inacceptable.

This shit is not a merger, it's a classical sold-out. Champ Car is gone, Atlantic will be gone soon. Yeah, probably a REAL merge would have helped for the sport but this way is not a solution.

I hope you can land on your feet soon and find another interesting and exciting job.

 
At 5:10 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Eric, its me Christine
Wow so sorry man that really bites. I was thinking about all the great people that worked at Champ Car and where they were going to fit into the merger and I guess I have my answer.
I am so pissed off and angry too. You know that I was a huge fan of Champ Car. Have been to many races and always stuck up for Champ car and I feel like I have been slapped in the face for my loyalty so I can't even imagine what you and the others must feel like.
I can't believe Kevin rolled over like that and feel sick to my stomach about the whole thing
Im pissed that my race in Toronto was cancelled and to be honest I can't see myself going back in 2009and you know what a loyal fan I was.
So I say good bye to my passion as well I guess I will have to start watching the Jays again LOL until Argo season starts up again
I will miss you and wish you only the best

 
At 7:41 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric, thank you so much for your statements. You said everything that I am feeling and have not been able to put into words. Yes we are grieving. We loved this and we loved our family in Champcar and we all will miss each and every city, event and person! I was in Germany with my Champcar family when 9/11 hit. I have spent my anniversay with my CCWS family. They grieved with me when I lost my parents and I have grieved with them when they lost loved ones or we have lost co-workers. I wept with my CCWS when Greg Moore was killed and I wept with joy when Alex Zanardi finished his last 10 laps at EuroSports after loosing his legs there in 2001. I have been blessed to see all this an more. Scott had created the most beautiful, sexy race car in the world. I am thankful that I get to see and hear them run one more time. Hope you will be there and if you are come by and see us in timing. I am glad we met and I am thankful for all I have been able to do. It will be very hard not to go racing after 18 years of traveling with CART/Champcar. Take care and best of luck in the future for you.

 
At 9:51 AM EST , Blogger Unknown said...

Eric,

It's sad to see someone as talented as you to lose your job. I never had the opportunity to meet you in person as most of my time at the track was consumed flagging, but seeing your writing, watching your videos on champcar.ws and youtube.com, and hearing your podcasts with Jim were great. i hope that you find the strength to move on, and an opportunity comes along that you only get once in a lifetime.

-Jeremy

 
At 7:29 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric, thanks for all you did for the series, your videos, your podcasts with Jim Swintal, and for being a really great guy in person too!

Fair skies and following winds to you and hope to keep in touch!

 
At 10:26 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric,

We always valued your contribution to the Champ Car scene, from presentations at CCIC dinners, to listening to you as the Champ Car track announcer helping a local announcer get it right, to numerous personal conversations with you at various tracks.

I am sure that with your skills you will find a new love to replace the old that has passed away. I am sad, but not despondent. Somewhere in the future there are new opportunities to become involved in idyllic ventures. I don't know what they are for any of us, and at this moment I don't see them being related to the "merged" IndyCar series. But it would be great if our paths crossed again. Keep us informed about what you are doing.

Dave & Virginia Pixley

 
At 11:44 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric,

You always wondered about the beer...

I will have TWO examples of "Granite Gulch" ales at the farewell in Long Beach. Find the Pirate Flag, and you find the beer!

It's been a great experience for me to get to know you and I am a better person because of it.

Stay in touch, my friend.

manic

 
At 9:34 AM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric,
It was a pleasure to work with you at the Champ Car events. You always showed such an enthusiasm for our sport. Keep us posted. You are talented and will land in a good place.
Marilyn Sara
CCIC Ambassador

 
At 10:03 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric, Please keep us posted on what you're doing, while i'm an IRL fan, I've always enjoyed your Videos...
its hard for me to think that there will not be anymore this or that or overheard at the track...
sincerely,
A sad IRL Fan

 
At 6:18 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric, we are so sorry about the loss of your job due to the stupid so-called "merger." Seeing you at the track was always a bright spot in our race weekends, and we enjoyed your video pieces and announcing so much. Good luck in your future endeavors!

Best regards,
Rick and Susan Hess

 
At 9:46 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric, We wish you the best in whatever comes to pass. We would like to contact you but we lost your numbers when my cell phone died. Hopefully we will talk soon.

My email is redwings9999@aol.com

 
At 8:54 AM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric,

Thank you for all of your efforts over the years. I have had to clean my computer screen many times from spitting water or soda as I laughed from some of your more hilarious works.

I remain working through the stages in reacting to the news of the "merger." I have been a Champ Car fan since I was a kid. I've never been able to watch an IRL race longer than 5 minutes. That won't change now. So now, it's F1 and ALMS, but there'll always be something missing.

I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors. We will never now have a chance to meet, but I've always admired what you were able to do.

Thank you.

 
At 9:11 PM EDT , Blogger chunter said...

I wrote a quick piece somewhere, perhaps my own blog, that I feel terribly sorry for all the folks that the cancellation of ChampCar has now laid off, the marshalls/stewards and race promoters, and the commentators. Toronto isn't the only city being shafted, there's Portland, Edmonton, the Road America crew and fans, the awesome atmospheres in Belgium and the Netherlands...

I wish you all the best; I still believe that ChampCar was the superior product.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home