Thursday, March 22, 2007

I can't believe all the hoopla that is going into this Vegas race. Every day I seem to get another announcement in my inbox, whether its about the track or the parties surrounding the event. This race looks to be huge. We know its going to be a lot of fun, we know the cars are going to look great. I just hope they can perform. Don't get me wrong, I know they can and will and they've been tested for long distance runs. But like any proud father, you worry and are excited and look forward to it being over, simply to breath a sigh of relief. I recall the exact same feeling last season In Long Beach in preparation for the Atlantics race. Everybody was really excited about the new car, but deep down we all hoped that it would pass muster. I don't think I need to remind you how great that car looked. Of course, for them, everything was brand new. New chassis, new tires and new engines, so they had a little more to worry about. I am a worrier, so that's my nature. I know that several teams at Laguna practiced long runs, race-like runs and things were fine. I am so just so excited for this race. I love LB and I love Toronto, but I think this will be my new favorite event. I love Las Vegas and have a very interesting relationship with that city. I also heard that my old friend and yours, Mr. Patrick Carpentier will be in attendance on Sunday. I look forward to seeing him. If you happen to see him, please refrain from calling him Benedict Arnold. I think A.J. has taken over that title amongst Champ Car fans.

Speaking of A.J., if there is one thing we know about him is that he's not a patient guy. This must be the most difficult time of his career right now and you can't help but feel bad for him. I know, I know, but I can't help it. At the very least he can take solace in the fact that its a team issue right now and not just him, since his boss isn't qualifying either. But after making such noise as a rookie, as a Toyota driver, to come in the series and not qualify yet must be hard. It took a while for Toyota to dominate the Trucks, but once they did, it was all but over for the other manufacturers. I expect the same thing at the Cup level. Give them a year or two then watch how far they come. I only hope that A.J.'s patience can wait that long. And of course, their patience with him. Remember, A.J. wasn't the most technical guy out there. He's a driver and damnit that's what he does. But right now, with their attempts at bettering the car and product, a technically inclined driver would be quite beneficial to them. We'll see how that storyline plays out.

6 Comments:

At 11:26 AM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

AJ's season starts now with the Car of Tomorrow. He still may not make the Bristol race this weekend simply due to the number of cars entered and the field will be separated by 0.001's of a second.

Also Jarrett is running out of past champions provisionals and will have to race his way in.

It is rumoured that Toyota's COT is very good and that they put most of there eggs in this basket as opposed to trying to develop two cars, with one being phased out.

 
At 3:48 PM EDT , Blogger Eric Gagnon said...

great point DW, why would Toyota care about the old car if the car of tomorrow is already being used in some races this year and on road to being full time. Well, I hope AJ's season starts soon. be fun to root for someone I actually know.
Unless of course, DW stands for Darryl Waltrip!!

Eric

 
At 5:01 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now Im really excited about Vegas as in the mail today, we got our tickets. woo hoo!!! can't wait only 14 more sleeps before we leave for vegas
see you there eric

 
At 5:11 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris are you in Canada. I'm still waiting for my tickets.

EG, looks like AJ made his first cup race, a 35th place qualifying spot, doesn't look like his boss made it in.

See you soon Eric

 
At 5:34 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Owell, whem it is all said and done, AJ made it in but was bumped back to 43rd spot, some guys that qualified slower were in the top 35 in points and thus pushed AJ back. Either way it is aplace to start.

 
At 12:14 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey DW yah I live in Toronto we got them Friday

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home