Monday, February 26, 2007

Is it me or did Robin Miller’s recent rant (http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/35621/) seem particularly vicious? Robin has always been negative, a distinct journalist characteristic. Most journalists prefer reporting bad news then good news, given that bad news spews more reaction out of people, precisely what journalists want. So, I was absolutely not surprised to read that Miller thinks everything is wrong with Champ Car (or IRL for that matter). He’s done it before and he’ll do it again. He does it for everything he encounters, any form of racing. Oh sure, he’ll throw a feel-good story on occasion, but those are in the minority. Generally speaking his job appears to be to point out what is wrong with racing and to offer his ideas of solutions. The fact that he is absolutely clueless as to what the American public wants doesn’t matter. Like most journalist he’s brash and opinionated and has all the right answer. But this particular article was a lot more mean-spirited, a lot more personal than most of his earlier work. His cheap shot attack on Steve Johnson was malicious and, I’m sure quite fraudulent. His suggestion that CC sell off its assets to Tony George was downright shocking.

Now, do these articles get people talking? Hell yes. Even Steve Johnson entered the Champ Car forums to throw his two cents on the article. Its one of the reasons I love champ car frankly, the interaction that the bosses have with the fans. I don’t know of another major sport where the president logs on to a forum and actually responds under his own name. Not through an alias, not just as a lurker. You have to respect that and you have to respect the fans for being honest with their feelings. And heck, I’m writing about the article, therefore I’m as guilty as anyone of acknowledging his article and responding to it. Therefore, the purpose of his article was served. He’s getting a reaction out of me, out of all of us, including the president of the company.

But I am not here to address the specific details of his article, as I will not pretend to know what is going on with the series. I know there will be Spring Training, I know I will be there and I know it’s going to be a heck of a season. That’s all I need to know right now. Naturally, being an employer of the series, his articles evoke a certain fear out of me, a financial fear, given that this is my passion, but also my livelihood and I do need to eat and pay my rent. But, nonetheless, it’s going to take a lot more than a negative article from him to get me to break out the old resume. Most of his articles I read are somewhat disconcerting. But this particular address and the point of this blog entry was that it was so damn personal; I have to wonder what is going on with his job status? Robin strikes me as a vengeful person. As a person who will shake your hand with a razor blade in his palm. Perhaps CC isn’t giving him what he wants. No, I’m not talking about the prominent, American fielded series he so constantly talks about. I’m talking about a free lunch he so craves. The buffet tables that keeps him coming back. Basically the free meal ticket. I wonder out loud if his days with the series are numbered. I’m probably way off base and reading too much into this. He could very well have gotten up on the wrong side of his bed and spilt coffee on his shirt right before sitting down and writing this very much op-ed piece. I hope things work out for Mr. Miller, whatever his future might be. The man can be very funny and witty in his writing. He just needs to be a happier fella.

By the way, I sure hope AJ has a guaranteed contract and not a performance-based contract.

15 Comments:

At 9:42 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Eric, you were spot on. That editorial went beyond constructive criticism, it was just nasty. I find Miller's writing pretty entertaining as a whole, but this was a real turn-off.

And it was very cool to see Steve Johnson on the forums, I hope they didn't scare him off.

God I hate the off-season!

Dan Tirtawinata
Los Angeles, CA

 
At 11:13 AM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Robin had a problem with his morning cornflakes and liquid that he ate them with!

His article was spiteful and I believe uncalled for. Saying that, he did bring up some valid points that could have been addressed in a less sensationalistic way.

It will be interesting to hear the rebuttal from the powers that be at Champ Car.

And then I hope Robin eats some crow with those cornflakes!

Spencer Easton
Oakville, Ontario

 
At 11:30 AM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The rebuttal is " Miller Fired By Champcar" or so AR1 is reporting.

Actually I never realized that he did work for Champcar, I thought his reportings were always for Speed.

 
At 12:35 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Besides his sarcastic remark that Steve Johnson is only in Indy 4 days in a month, what did he say in the article that was not true,?

 
At 12:46 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only thing wrong with Miller's piece is that it was too late in coming.

The CCWS braintrust is clearly out of touch, evidenced by their association with the particular sunshine-pumping, blind cheerleading, castrated ,,,,,forum that SJ posted on.

Also, "This or That" is neither funny nor insightful.

 
At 12:53 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too funny.

That was the most harmless article people are coloring "critical" I have ever read. What exactly was wrong? Car counts? driver lineups? Forsythe saying he's running one car? Vegas/Visa? Ford? You claim his article was "mean-spirited" when in fact it was accurate. "Even Steve Johnson entered the Champ Car forums to throw his two cents on the article." He entered prior to the article, and in reality should not be posting on forums, we shall see if he continues. You show your ignorance by stating that "Robin strikes me as a vengeful person. As a person who will shake your hand with a razor blade in his palm." What a surprise that you talk about free food and buffet tables. Right out of the Lemming dictionary. Only time will tell if Miller is more accurate in commentary than you are in blogging.

 
At 1:01 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sound like a ridiculous shill with your Miller bashing. Robin was spot on. And you obviously have no clue as to the concept of sarcasm.I will look forward to his future writings/rantings in print and on TV. Most are sick of the sunshine being blown up our bums.

 
At 1:19 PM EST , Blogger Eric Gagnon said...

ah, I love a good debate!

I probably do sound like a chill with my Miller bashing. But all I really meant from my blog was that he was unusually mean spirited with his rant. It was more personal than before. I don't despute all of what he says. But one can be critically analytical and one can be just jerkish. his was jerkish.
And i've been around Miller since 2001, so I have plenty of reasons to form an opinion of the man, CC related or not.

as for my "this or that" being neither funny or insightful. ouch.

 
At 4:24 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy, Eric, there sure are a lot of grumpy people here today! I always enjoy Miller's commentary, but CC is justified in terminating him for his comments about SJ. Few employers would look kindly on having their reputations so publicly sullied, particularly if it's unjustified, as I believe it is in this case.

 
At 8:52 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a shame that he had to be fired for saying what all of us FANS are thinking. Eric, if you can't understand that you are losing your fan base by the droves then you have been drinking the kool-aid at ChampCar headquarters too!

 
At 9:25 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what are you trying to do, Eric. Suck up for Miller's job with OWRS?

Sounds like you're as clueless as those commatards at CCF.

Go back to the short bus.


Id the Mental

 
At 10:16 PM EST , Blogger Eric Gagnon said...

Gentlemen, let's keep things in perspective here. I implied that he had an unusual nasty tone in his article. And I suspected that maybe it was the result of being let go by Champ Car. Has he been let go of since? apparently, I have no idea. Frankly, I don't care. what did he do for champ car anyway aside write an article on the website? point being he's a Speed employer, no? why should anything change. He'll continue to run his mouth. Hopefully in a less nasty-personal tone and be a bit more analytical.

 
At 4:03 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe that the tone of those defending Miller in this comment section indicates that they hope Champ Car fails.

The notion that Champ Car CEO Steve Johnson should not post at fan forums is ludicrous at best. Mr. Johnson is not a king or a dictator, but perhaps some want such a personality to run Champ Car. Well, there is another series with headquarters in Indianapolis with that style of leadership, so perhaps comfort can be found there for you who like distant and detached leadership styles (and teams and drivers, for that matter).

Tom Finlay
Deer Island, Oregon

 
At 5:31 PM EST , Blogger Iannucci said...

I would concur that Miller's piece was unusually mean-spirited, but it was the target and not the tone that made it noteworthy. As an IRL fan I have learned to be unaffected by his "mean-spirited" rants against the series I prefer. But he's been touting Champ Car for so long that this outburst seems practically absurd.

 
At 12:39 AM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robin stated the facts in his article. Perhaps the truth hurts, but it's still the truth.

I hope Champ Car ison the verge of a break through season but I just wish they'd get their act together.

If nothing else hopefully Robin inspired Champcar to start managing thinking about what there doing.

As for him being fired, maybe that's a good thing too. Who wants to read articles written by paid staff that are being told what they can and can't say. I look forward to his articles on speed all the more.

And Eric, I enjoy your overheard at the track and this and that, but for your own benefit don't sink to trying to cut up Robin with the razor blade. It just looks way to opportunistic.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home