Thursday, January 11, 2007

Bend it like Schumacher?

If Michael Schumacher came and drove in Champ Car, what would that do to our series? I say this following today’s announcement that the one and only, Sir David Beckham just signed a 5 year 250 million dollar deal with the Los Angeles Galaxy of the Major League Soccer. Now, I don’t know much about soccer, I don’t know much about Beckham. I am told that he used to be good and now he’s average. Nonetheless, he is still the most recognizable name in Soccer and it’s a genuine coup for the MLS to snatch him up. But what is this going to do for Soccer in the US? I, for one, would now probably go see a Toronto FC game if they played Los Angeles out of curiosity. But I wouldn’t go to the game before that or the game after and, frankly, wouldn’t think much of it after the game. Nonetheless, I would go for the same reason most people will go: to see a real international celebrity and, in this case, hope to catch a glimpse of Posh. I am certain MLS ratings will increase and you can bet that Los Angeles will be playing an awful lot of games on television. It’s a pricey acquisition, but likely to pay off. Would the same thing happen to Champ Car if Schumacher came over?
I avoid asking this question using a popular NASCAR driver a la Dale Jr. Because the answer is too obvious. But a European star, with name recognition, what would that do?
I don’t have an obvious answer. The immediate media exposure would be great. I’m sure ticket sales would go up (although at most races they can’t really go up MUCH higher) and television ratings would probably go up, at least the first few races. But, much like Beckham, is this short-sighted plan on the part of MLS? Will Americans ever truly love soccer like they love their football? Will Americans ever love Champ Car like they love their NASCAR? I really wonder what a name like Schumacher would do to Champ Car. Short term resolve, but in the long run, nothing? Or would this signing put Champ Car back on the map in North America?

1 Comments:

At 12:22 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

In this country, Beckham is much more well known than Schumacher (as you reference in your post title, there was no movie whose name mentioned Schumacher), so I doubt it would do a whole lot to increase ratings. You might get a few more European fans, but my guess would be that's it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home