Monday, October 03, 2005

# 88

Dale Jarrett! He’s going truck racing next year. We’ll see him in Vegas!!

I don’t want to go on a rant about the big one, but I am pretty tired of watching restrictor plate races simple to witness the ‘big one’. All they do is emphasize the ‘big one’ and it inevitably happens. Twice this Sunday in Alabama. It really makes me wonder why I am watching it. The announcers and team personnel reiterate the ‘big one’ so much that I start getting bored until it happens. Its as if you hear about a scene in a movie, then go see the movie. You wait and wait for the scene to come up. it might be a good movie prior to it, but you’re so preoccupied and distracted by the “one” scene you were told about, it consumes you. That’s how I felt this weekend when I was watching the race (the Yanks and Sox had already clinched at that point-the one and only reason why I may miss a race), like I was only watching for the one inevitable moment. Not that it disappointed. Gees Louise! That everybody walks away from that is amazing. For better or worse, NASCAR continues to provide phenomenal excitement. By the way, love that Carl Edwards is “the high-horsepower hunk”. Try saying that 5 times fast.

So I read that they thought of making the next two races 1.5 in point value. Wouldn’t that be interesting? Wow. Talk about giving it to the fans. We are talking about dramatically changing a rule with two races to go in order to provide the maximum drama. Some would argue that it’s preposterous to change the rules midway that were implemented for a reason and can’t be changed at the expense of driver and team.

I agree. But….

2003: Matt Kenseth wins the Winston Cup with one of the most boring championship race in so many years. Averaging an 8th place finish, Kenseth captured the cup with consistency and shear plainness. No need for the flash or glory, no need for the final 15 races, Kenseth had captured the title by mid-July.
2004 Off-season: Press release: NASCAR has just implemented a new set of rules that will now determine the new NASCAR champion….you know the rest.

2004: Michael Shumacher wins his 7th championship in succession. As a result, the FIA has implemented a series of rule changes to essentially prevent Shumacher and Ferrari to win another championship.
Maybe those examples are a little extreme, but nonetheless they were put out for a reason. To make the product better for the fans. If Champ Car decides that the last couple of races are worth 1.5 the points, then so be it. They have a good reason/excuse with Korea. Go ahead and make it more entertaining. We’ll all thank you in the end (except maybe Macdonalds, if plans don’t pan out. No free Macflurries for you guys!)

5 Comments:

At 3:35 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a difference between changing rules between seasons and changing rules during a season. If you want to tweak something during the off season, fine. But making the last few races worth more points is unfair.

 
At 4:58 PM EDT , Blogger Eric Gagnon said...

I completely agree with your point. hence why this is such a hot debatable issue. changing the rules mid-season doesn't seem fair, does it?

 
At 6:41 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How come you never write about ALMS? That is the next best thing to Champ Car.

 
At 11:53 PM EDT , Blogger Eric Gagnon said...

yeah, why don't I talk about the ALMS? its a great series, its got my boy Ron Fellows. One of my better memories of my time with Champ Car is in Miami watching the ALMS from my hotel room which was way up, so I could see 90 percent of the track. it was very cool. that's a good idea anonymous, maybe i'll do that more.

by the way, it suddenly occured to me that anonymous could have been written by yours truly so I could respond to myself because its a good idea. Yeah, do it Eric! Talk about ALMS. I assure all those readings that I didn't ask myself the question under the banner of 'anonymous'. :)

 
At 11:21 AM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice try Eric but it came from Me Christine LOL
Oh and Road Rally awesome series as well. We were at Miami as well loved the race too bad about Fellows this past weekend. Oh well Houston here I come next year

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home