Saturday, April 02, 2005

the gloves are off

I have a confession to make. I watch the IRL whenever I get a chance. I also watch NASCAR whenever I get a chance. I’ll catch a CASCAR or an ALMS race when I can. The point is, I am a race fan, and any time I see a powerful engine in a souped up car battling it out with others, I get stoked. It’s a little strange admitting that I watch the IRL as if its some sort of sin, meanwhile I have no qualms declaring my enjoyment of NASCAR or any other type of series.

However, I am also a firm believer in the old saying “keep your friends close and your enemies closer”. Unfortunately, it has come to that. I now see the IRL as an evil competitor, willing to use whatever tactics they can in order to destroy us. I didn’t feel it personally until last year. In 2001 when Roger left and they were experiencing those ridiculously close finishes and they seemed to be carrying some momentum, it didn’t bother me. I figured they were doing their thing and Champ Car was doing theirs. Although I enjoyed making fun of the IRL whenever I could be it in ‘overheard at the track’ or whatever, I can’t honestly say that it was gratifying personally to take a jab at them. It was just the thing to do, based on fan reaction. But it all changed last year.

Maybe it’s because I’m contracted by the series and not a team. Maybe I just became more aware of their tactics in recent years. But the IRL management really pisses me off these days. Naturally it started when they tried to buy CART’s assets. Then it was Cosworth, then Portland, Toronto, Long Beach, St Petes, you name it. If Champ Car has it, the IRL wants it. By any means necessary. To me, that’s a real shame. I understand that both are running a business and there is no etiquette in business. Or so I’m told. But what Tony George and his minions have done recently is really distasteful. What the hell would have Chip Ganassi done with Cosworth? It wouldn’t have been pretty for our side. To me, these are dirty tactics.

I don’t hate the IRL drivers. I was fortunate enough to meet most of them while they were in CART and most of them are real nice people. Even Michael Andretti was nice to me when I interviewed him for the Score. Certainly Patrick Carpentier and I became dear friends, on account of both of us being goofballs. Tony Kanaan, Helio, Brian, these are all nice guys. Sure, a few of them have opened their mouths and trashed our series. They know who they are and they know where they stand in our eyes.

I really hope that everything in the IRL falls flat on their face and we can welcome back a few of these guys and truly be the dominant open-wheel series in America (even though we are right now). But I fear that as long as they have the Indy 500 and the Brickyard 400, they’ll have enough money to keep running a series, even if nobody shows up.

But that’s not necessarily a bad thing. A little competition is good. It prevents Champ Car from becoming complacent. It keeps us on our toes. It makes us realize the importance of Long Beach, Toronto, Mexico City, etc. These events are phenomenal and are wanted by the other racing series in America. But we have them and we need to hold on to them. It makes us appreciated them that much more. Maybe the two competing series is good, it gives the press something to talk about. It creates some sort of awareness to the general public. I’ll elaborate more on that another time, and leave it that I like the fiery competition between Champ Car and the IRL. And I couldn’t be prouder to stand in Champ Car’s corner. And I guarantee you that this year, any time I make an IRL joke during ‘Overheard’ or whatever, I will enjoy it. Really enjoy it.

Speaking of which, expect the first segments of ‘overheard at the track’ to come your way shortly following Long Beach. Unfortunately it likely won’t be seen the following Monday or Tuesday. Because of developing circumstances, the videos won’t be posted until likely one week following Long Beach. Regardless, I’ll keep you posted and post a link here. If I can figure out how the heck to do that!

By the way, if you’re at a race and you see some bozo walking around with his camera filming odd things, make sure to come and say hello! I have no cameraperson this year, so I’ll always be looking for volunteers at the track.

I’ll also drop a season preview shortly. Everybody else is doing it!!

Champ Car Baby! Champ Car for life!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home