Friday, May 13, 2005

I really like the driver diary idea that Champ Car decided to do this year. Its fun knowing what happens in between races in the mind of a racecar driver. Apparently with Paul Tracy, it involves moving into a huge house in Florida on the ocean. Not too shabby, this life of a driver.

Come on GoodYear, don’t be like that! Let Michel run in Monterrey. It makes absolutely no difference to you guys. Its not even in the United States. It’s a one-off that would benefit everyone involved. Michel races at home, Champ Car has two Mexicans for the race and the fans have local boys to cheer for. Everybody wins. It’s not like there is a Busch race that weekend. He’s not going to go and plug Bridgestone at every opportunity. Michel Jourdain Jr is a smart man who knows who he works for. In fact, this really benefits the Busch series and Goodyear all together. They are looking for more exposure in Mexico. Well, a Busch driver doing a one-off in Open-Wheel in Mexico is exactly what the doctor ordered! The media will surely mention his Busch career and for the very few people who aren’t already Michel Jourdain fans in Mexico, well they will be exposed to him and should they want to continue following him? Well they would turn to the NASCAR Busch series powered by Goodyear (in this case). Its literally win-win.

So now Pat Carpentier and Eddy Cheever are all buddy-buddy again, now that they had to meet face to face for the practice session at Indy. Isn’t that convenient? When 1000 miles apart, then we can yap at each other all we want and send each other mean letters like school girls. But when it comes to seeing each other, well, uh, let me clarify what I really meant. Yes, yes, me too. Uh, let me tell you what I meant to say. Those nasty journalists, always spinning stories. Yes, those jerks. What I meant to say was that I love Driving for Cheever and finishing in the top 15 on a good day. Oh, and yes, what I meant in the letter I wrote to Pat was that I love him finishing in the top 15. Seriously. We’re good buddies now. Until after that Indy 500 that is.

Speaking of Indy, I understand that some Champ Car fans are upset with all the coverage given to the Indy500 by our reporters. They have a good point. If I am a Champ Car reporter, why should I be covering the Indy500? Unfortunately it goes beyond logic with this race and no matter what era we are in, the month of May will be reserved for the Indy500 in the world of Open-Wheel racing. Most of the reporters are old school (some very old school) and whoever they are covering, the Indy500 will always be the spectacle of racing in the US. And they will inevitably migrate to Indy for the month of May. Its inevitable. This year, it’s a little easier for them to justify their actions, given that we have two Champ Car drivers participating. But, they would be there anyway (the reporters that is).

But!! We are only a week away from the race in Monterrey. Thank god! I wish I could attend, but alas, my Spanish isn’t up to par. I will be watching closely on my television set, which is good, because it will give me a chance to watch a television broadcast and therefore be able to state an opinion on the production values. I heard mixed rumblings for the first race. We’ll see what happens here!! Its always bittersweet watching a race on television for me. I love the show, naturally, but I hate not being there. Its frustrating a little. Watch for Bourdais to continue his dominant reign. I don’t see it stopping next weekend. His rookie season in 2003, the most impressive drive he had all year was in Monterrey, if you ask me. I forget the exact details,
it may have been a pitstop blunder during the race, but he ended up at the back of the pack and watching him climb the ladder was so beautiful. It was similar to his drive in Denver last year, except that this was his 2nd champ car race ever. The kid is truly special and I can’t wait to watch him next week.
Champ Car baby! Champ Car for Life!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home