Sunday, July 08, 2007

Toronto Post race

Well, what an event. What an absolutely crazy event. From that opening lap to the checkered flag, this was one of the most absurd race I have ever been part of. I was a pit reporter for XM radio (as well as across Canada) and let me tell you, if I thought Tremblant was challenging, this was an entirely different story. Todd Lewis, the other pit reporter and I split the pits in half prior to the start of the race and wouldn't you know it, all 4 drivers involved were on my side! I was a little overwhelmed and figured at least it would make the rest of the day a little easier. Boy was I wrong. It was pandemonium from the start to the end.

Its not often that one feels sorry for Sebastien Bourdais, but its tough not too after today. No less then 3 times was he punted, none of them his fault. At the end of the race, Doornbos apologized in person to Bourdais, an apology that Bourdais did accept, as he told me shortly after that he was really just dejected about falling out of the points lead. I have seldom seen him that demoralized. Then again, when was the last time he didn't lead the championship this late into the season?

And today, its safe to say Justin Wilson was the villain out there. If you disagree, just ask Ryan Dalziel. He was mad as heck and I don't blame him one bit. It was to the point where Ryan said that he thought Justin was his friend. It was clear that Justin was on some sort of mission and I asked him if he thought of making a move on Jani at the end. He said 'not really' as he figured since he passed Jani last week in Tremblant, that Jani wouldn't let it happen again.

Speaking of Jani, that little guy has one potty mouth! This is twice now that I have interviewed him following his podium finishes and he has cursed. The only difference was that this time it was on live, coast to coast radio. That boy needs to stop learning English from his crew guys. :)

I made sure, during the end of our broadcast to give props to Bruno Junquiera. The team gave him a great car, he was saying he loved it during the race and went home with a 5th place finish. You would have liked to see him finish a little bit higher, but a top 5 is nonetheless a very good result for that team.

Will Power was absolutely fantastic today. After such a difficult weekend, with the penalty on Friday and the poor qualifying, to see him win today was truly special. Like he said, this win was way more special than Vegas and after a couple of so so results a few race backs, he leaps to second place in the chase for the Cup as a result of back to back podiums. We'll see how he'll do in Edmonton.

oh, and I took a ride in the two seater this weekend. I'll make sure to write about that soon.

2 Comments:

At 9:16 AM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I listened to the radio version of the play-by-play,while at the track. Todd, ET, Lee, and you did a marvelous job.
That's what a radio show should be like. Entetaining and informative.
My only bone of contention,(being a PT fan), is that you were adamant,that Tracy ran over his own nose wing. Hmm!

And Todd's assistant. You just got to love a girl in uniform.

 
At 3:31 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Eric I have to totally agree with you on everything in this one
I felt so bad for Ryan I really was cheering for him in the end. I was like wow Im going to see a rookie win a race but not to be.
I actually kind of did feel sorry for Seabass, but don't let that get around LOL
And I was so happy for Junky. Wow what a great effort by the team
I really want to see Dale Coyne win one this year.
He just might with Junky ???

Wow the 2 seater eh? That must have been a crazy ride. I would have made them stop LOL
Nice seeing you again at the race

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home