Sunday, March 26, 2006

ABC's IRL coverage is the devil....

I have never seen anything like this in my life. I am talking about post race comments from the ABC crew. I am currently watching it, they just went to commercial after talking to Dan. Thank god Dan Wheldon has the class and the integrity to point out that this day in IndyCar is a tragedy and not an exciting race that Jamie Little or whatever the hell her name is, is intent on asking him about. Is it really important at this point to point out that this is the 9th closest IRL finish ever? Does Jamie really think that Dan is going to be excited about it? that he's going to want to celebrate and be excited about winning the first race of the 2006 season?

I know very little details right now about the tragedy that happened to Paul Dana. I don't want to get into it right now because I am shocked, hurt, and mostly angry. I will write more about it down the road. I can't bring myself to writing anything right now because I am too angry.
What I do know is that running this race today demonstrates what the IRL is all about:

hang on: quote "Castroneves must be heart broken about finishing 2nd in his adopted home race" is what the announcner just said before going to him for an interview. unbelievable. Must be heartbroken????

back to what I was saying: running the race today is what the IRL is all about, hypocrisy. the bottom line continues to be the most important thing right now for Tony and his minions. And while the bottom line is the nature of any business, ethics should also be a priority and today, the IRL demonstrated they have absolutely no ethics.
This isn't about IRL bashing. This isn't about a guy who works for champcar trying to point out the competitions mistakes and faults. This is about a race fan who sees the racers behind the helmets. Who sees the families behind the teams.
At least Rahal had the decency of pulling out. At least Wheldon had the classiness to downplay his achievements today and point out what is important.
I don't know that I will soon forget Jamie Little's face and wide smile and excitement as Dan stepped out of the car and she was so gunho on talking to Dan about that last lap! I have lost all respect for her and if its her bosse's fault, she should have had the courage to at least open the 'interview' asking about Dana.
yes, Dana was a rookie and a nobody in this sport. Yes, its not something that happens too often (fortunately) these days in any racing league in America. But that doesn't change a thing. he was a member, a family member of the IRL and Team Rahal.
RIP Paul Dana

5 Comments:

At 9:07 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Eric I totally agree with you. When I heard the news this morning about 1st the crash than Dana's death I was stunned. I was shocked to see they actually replayed the crash that took Dana's life while they were talking about his death. Totally stunned that made me turn the TV off right there. No one needs to see a crash like that again
Lost all respect for anyone over there and the annoucers sounded way to excited when speaking about his death.
My prayers are with his family and anyone who knew him.

 
At 11:23 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank You for summing that up. I'm still a little shaken up about it.

 
At 3:44 AM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree with you more... As soon as I heard what happen, I just broke down. Then to see ABC's TERRIBLE way of handling it all... WOW. And why in the world do they keep showing the crash over and over? So wrong... Where's the respect?

 
At 1:07 AM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"running the race today is what the IRL is all about, hypocrisy. the bottom line continues to be the most important thing right now for Tony and his minions. And while the bottom line is the nature of any business, ethics should also be a priority and today, the IRL demonstrated they have absolutely no ethics."

Welcome to 1996.

 
At 1:09 AM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"running the race today is what the IRL is all about, hypocrisy. the bottom line continues to be the most important thing right now for Tony and his minions. And while the bottom line is the nature of any business, ethics should also be a priority and today, the IRL demonstrated they have absolutely no ethics."

Welcome to 1996.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home