Sunday, April 24, 2005

Overheard:

Formula One is turning in Survivor, the tv show. How so? In order to spice up the product, they need to invent new rules every race. You tune in expecting something familiar, but instead get these convoluted rule changes, which seem to be ‘made-up’ as they go along. And the races usually take place at exotic locations, just like Survivor…okay enough.

Jacques Villeneuve was recently randomly chosen by the FIA to take a drug test. Although it’s a mandatory procedure that they randomly select drivers every few months, its widely speculated that they suspect that Villeneuve is on marijuana, because nobody drives that slow on their own. ( I know, he finished 6th at Imola. now its worth celebrating a 6th place finish?)

Kurt Busch won the Subway Fresh 500 on Saturday night in Phoenix. Immediately following his win, he stepped out of the car and took a big bite out of a footlong meatball sub.Made fresh, of course.

Call me suspicious, but during the interviews with the top 3 drivers, all of them conveniently took a long sip of their 2 liter coke bottles right before answering the first question. 2 liters?? Who needs that much coca-cola after a race? If I mention Coca-Cola one more time, I expect them to send me free stuff this week.

Loved the emphasis at the end of the NASCAR broadcast when promoting the next race in Talladega. Paraphrasing: lots of crashes. Lots and lots of crashes at Talladega. Many many many crashes. Next Sunday on Fox. Did I mention crashes?

Now the rumbling is that Toyota and Honda will pull out as soon as possible of the IRL. If so, then things are all of a sudden looking pretty good over at Panther racing.

Speaking of the IRL, anybody hear from my friend Patrick Carpentier? Talk about falling into oblivion. I don’t feel sorry for him at all, but the guy could use some press. Any press! Hey Pat, call me, we’ll do an interview for this blog. And I promise I will mention the Indy 500.

My favorite thing about the revamped Champ Car website is the in-car ride with the driver. Onboard camera with the narration coming directly from the driver as he’s (in this case) taking it to the streets of Long Beach. Amazing how calm they can be. Justin Wilson sounds animated enough to put an infant to sleep.

I’ve actually been considering getting a Champ Car tattoo. Seriously. I think it would be cool and since Kevin Kalkoven was quoted as saying he has enough money to run the series forever, then I have no fear that the tattoo will become obsolete.

The website looks good. I give a lot of credit to whoever is in charge. Its fresh, it’s easily accessible and gives viewers their fix. Kind of like Subway sandwiches!


Champ Car baby! Champ Car for Life!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home